Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
How is it? I've had my eye on it - is the main book out yet?
It's much lighter system wise. I read the pdf of the Tutorial and most of the Rules book while waiting for the physical to get in. They're getting better about organization and layout. Much easier to read through and grok. It is very much lighter mechanically speaking which being more into crunchy systems is slight turn off for me but honestly it's such a small quibble because it wouldn't be hard to add a bit more crunch back into it.

The lighter approach reminds me of how Lynne Hardy and folks went lighter mechanically with BRP for the "Rivers of London" book. If you've looked through that. And like the RoL book, the D&M books are brighter in tone, though the actual lore have nothing in common.

I haven't read anything about a release of a main book yet, they're knee deep in Cohor's Cthulhu right now. Hopefully we'll read something about the main full system of Dreams and Machines soon though.

So I got these three in the last week...

The new edition of Basic Roleplaying was a must as I loved the Big Gold Book.

Call of Cthulhu 5.6.1 as that was the edition I coveted the most when I was younger but never possessed... Until now! Obviously the excitement of having the BRP book tempted me to pull the trigger on that one.

High Medieval I've kinda liked for a long time but never had a physical copy.

Attachments

• PSX_20231016_235335.jpg
    PSX_20231016_235335.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 15
While I was out at the office today World Wide Wrestling 2nd edition core + move cards arrived!

This is purely for reading. I really can't see any of my friends being interested in playing it (or me finding the time either) but it looks like there's a lot of fun ideas in it anyway.

Attachments

• PSX_20231017_232624.jpg
    PSX_20231017_232624.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 5
I would very much like to hear what you think of The Crow and what it's like. The movie has a special place in my nostalgia shrine.

I'll let you know as soon as I dig into it. Those two books just came in the other day, so I haven't looked through them yet. I almost didn't buy the core book, since it doesn't interest me that much, but it was cheap enough to go ahead and get it in case any of the things in the setting books don't make sense.

I'll let you know as soon as I dig into it. Those two books just came in the other day, so I haven't looked through them yet. I almost didn't buy the core book, since it doesn't interest me that much, but it was cheap enough to go ahead and get it in case any of the things in the setting books don't make sense.
That's actually the reason I originally bought GURPS. I was running Call of Cthuhu and GURPS Horror caught my eye as a source of inspiration. I decided to pick up to the core to be sure I understood it. As it turned out, I ended up running a GURPS Horror campaign.

All of these sound really cool based on the back-cover text, but I'm especially excited to read The Space Frontiers, a collection of short stories from 1955. I'm going to have to try to restrain myself from grabbing more paperbacks as I have a huge backlog now waiting to be read, but it's so hard to resist when you see something really intriguing for a dollar or three!
20231017_195028 (1).jpg
20231017_195321.jpg

That's actually the reason I originally bought GURPS. I was running Call of Cthuhu and GURPS Horror caught my eye as a source of inspiration. I decided to pick up to the core to be sure I understood it. As it turned out, I ended up running a GURPS Horror campaign.

I don't think I have actually played GURPS since the 1980s. I'm not averse to playing it, but it tends to be hard to sell players on it, for some reason. Over time I have settled on using OpenD6 (and offshoots) for that sort of generic ruleset, but I still pull in things from the various GURPS sourcebooks, which I have made a point of buying over the years.

The "Highlander" book for "Everyday Heroes" is what originally caught my attention, but it wasn't on sale at the time, and "The Crow" one looked interesting. I would be interested in one for "The Warriors," too, if they ever do that (and if "The Crow" one turns out to be worth reading). Chances are that I won't use the "Everyday Heroes" system for any of them, since it is based on 5E, unless I can use it as some sort of transition between 5E and another system with a group of 5E-only players.

All of these sound really cool based on the back-cover text, but I'm especially excited to read The Space Frontiers, a collection of short stories from 1955. I'm going to have to try to restrain myself from grabbing more paperbacks as I have a huge backlog now waiting to be read, but it's so hard to resist when you see something really intriguing for a dollar or three!
I vaguely remember reading Mission of Gravity as a kid. It's set on a high-gravity planet inhabited by intelligent centipedes. It's interesting as it takes a hard science-fiction approach to the planet and its inhabitants. Definitely worth a read.
I don't think I have actually played GURPS since the 1980s. I'm not averse to playing it, but it tends to be hard to sell players on it, for some reason.
I stopped using it when I began running games with more casual gamers as the character building was too daunting. This was before GURPS hit on the idea of providing character templates.

I just got another copy of Mutants in the Now and Mutants in the Next. They're just as nice as my first copies, but I can't help but feel a little bit less excited.

Mission of Gravity is a very good read. Anything by Hal Clement is great, lots of good application of science. He was a great guy, he attended our college SF con several times in the 80s, he was quite an SF fan as well as author. In fact, one con had the following guests of honor: Author GOH Hal Clement, Fan GOH Col. Harry Stubbs, Artist GOH George Richard (yes, he was a great artist too. I remember an awesome piece he did of the Titanic sinking based on the knowledge of the time - before the wreck was found).

I vaguely remember reading Mission of Gravity as a kid. It's set on a high-gravity planet inhabited by intelligent centipedes. It's interesting as it takes a hard science-fiction approach to the planet and its inhabitants. Definitely worth a read.
Hal Clement wrote two novel-length sequels to Mission of Gravity: Close to Critical (1958) and Star Light (1971). The Hal Clement Wikipedia page has an interesting list of the planets he created.

Wow!
I've never heard of this, it looks great as a coffee table art book that chronicles the history of trpgs!
It’s not really an art book because there’s not much of it. It’s an encyclopedia of RPG products year by year. It’s missing some product entries but that still doesn’t detract from its value because it’s quite an undertaking. I could probably do a review of it in its own thread if that’s of interest to folks.

Mission of Gravity is a very good read. Anything by Hal Clement is great, lots of good application of science. He was a great guy, he attended our college SF con several times in the 80s, he was quite an SF fan as well as author. In fact, one con had the following guests of honor: Author GOH Hal Clement, Fan GOH Col. Harry Stubbs, Artist GOH George Richard (yes, he was a great artist too. I remember an awesome piece he did of the Titanic sinking based on the knowledge of the time - before the wreck was found).

Mission of Gravity is a classic, love the imaginative details by Clement although it always struck me as funny that his truly alien aliens sounded so much like people from the 50s.

You either found a dubious reseller, someone selling the limited edition of the book, or some combination of the two. Here is a more reasonable listing on Amazon.

There is also a deluxe edition that comes in a slip cover with fancier dressing, foil stamping, gilded edges etc along with a significant mark up 1-1/2 to 2x the price of the regular version.

I just found one of the regular editions on Abe books for $38, there are a few more listed in the high $30s to low $40s. It seems to be offered with a significant price spike overseas, but that shouldn't include Canada.

Probably my last book haul of 2023 given our propinquity to Christmas and then my birthday. Won a lot of eight Frank Yerby novels on eBay for cheap:
20231020_192725.jpg
The ones most immediately interesting to me based on the back-cover text are An Odor of Sanctity, set in 9th Century Spain, and The Treasure of Pleasant Valley just because I like Westerns.

You sir, have an impressive interest in quality books. I applaud you. I wish I could read as much, but 2 hours after work my vision is so blurry from the bourbon I just stare at the wall. Bravo!
And Prost!

There is also a deluxe edition that comes in a slip cover with fancier dressing, foil stamping, gilded edges etc along with a significant mark up 1-1/2 to 2x the price of the regular version.

I just found one of the regular editions on Abe books for $38, there are a few more listed in the high $30s to low $40s. It seems to be offered with a significant price spike overseas, but that shouldn't include Canada.
Canada is overseas. Do you know nothing about US geography?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back