Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Had my eye on this for a bit now so thought I'd splash the cash on it...

1697893714996.png

1697893762223.png

1697893797608.png

1697893829131.png

Has a psuedo middle-eastern feel to it and I really like the art and layout. Weirdly though one of the campaign books is softback whereas the rest, including adventures and another campaign book, are hardback. I'm trying not to let that bother me!

In my youth, Frank Yerby novels were on every drugstore paperback rack. Now he's fallen entirely off the pop-culture radar. Very few new titles on Amazon. Bestseller status can be fleeting.

Yerby's Wikipedia entry is okay.
I'd never heard of him until I found an inexpensive hardcover of The Golden Hawk in a used book store. I bought it after flipping through it because I like ripping yarns about pirates and © 1948 meant it was unlikely to be infected by "watch me subvert!" :wink: Then at other used book or thrift shops I came across Goat Song, and later The Dahomean. He can tell a good story so when I saw nobody bidding and a low price, I went for it. I paid $12.67 including shipping for eight paperbacks in terrific shape so I'll be happy even if only a couple of them are great reads.

Last edited:
There is also a deluxe edition that comes in a slip cover with fancier dressing, foil stamping, gilded edges etc along with a significant mark up 1-1/2 to 2x the price of the regular version.

I just found one of the regular editions on Abe books for $38, there are a few more listed in the high $30s to low $40s. It seems to be offered with a significant price spike overseas, but that shouldn't include Canada.

Canada is overseas. Do you know nothing about US geography?
enhanced-buzz-wide-14575-1404141011-22.jpg

The Scourge of the Northland Kickstarter came in unannounced. I'd played in the Manticore adventure a guy ran last year and it was well done for OSE. Actually he ran it with DCC Rpg. We ended up doing a TPK due to two of the players not listening to me but it was still a blast.

I also snagged the Manticore and Silveraxe adventures as well as add ons for the Kickstarter. I'm a fan of the OSE adventures particular, they've got an old school TSR module/Judges Guild adventures feel to them. I like that it wouldn't take me much work to use them with DCC Rpg, GURPS, The Fantasy Trip or The Forbidden Lands.

Scourge of the Northland KS 01.jpg
Scourge of the Northland KS 02.jpg
Scourge of the Northland KS 03.jpg
Scourge of the Northland KS 04.jpg
Scourge of the Northland KS 05.jpg

Acmegamer Acmegamer

I really like those maps he does. And what are those cards?

Not sure why exactly, but that stuff is giving me Dragon's Dogma vibes. Might be because of the manticore.

Also my Goodman Games order came in. I'd been trying to catch up on the Lankhmar adventures, when I realized that I'd fallen behind three adventure modules. Also Goodman Games did an update to their pdf for the DCC Rpg core book and finally released a print version of the 10th pdf/print.

Unfortunately their website really lacks for some information and when I was snagging the "latest" physical printing of core book it wasn't clear that was actually the 9th print and there is no matching pdf for that. Basically there's a 4th and 7th pdf/print. There isn't any pdf's for the 5th, 6th, 8th or 9th printing. Which is fine, anything from 7th print to 9th print is basically the same pdf mechanics/rules wise with some typo corrections etc.

So, I didn't get a physical book of the most recent pdf which has some significant clarifications and changes. I took it up with Goodman Games and their IT folks got back to me and let me know that they did add "10th print" to the description under the DCC core book.

Why is this important to me? Because the open groups i've played with at the local game shop and the private groups for that matter tend to being argumentative about rules. So, I try to keep to the latest print/pdf for consistency and to cut down on arguments and I can reply with for example...

"Oh, your book says that? Well which printing is it? The 4th print? Oh, dude they deleted that whole paragraph, so the whole context changes".
Yes, that debate actually happened last year. We were debating the rules and finally I did a hold on.. "which printing of the rules to do you have?"

So ever since then I keep to the most recent pdf/print to save that sort of silliness. Hell I'm not even a rules lawyer sort, but when one confronts me I like to have my geese in a row for easy slaughter. I will say this, that player became much more respectful of me and would ask me about rules at times when he wasn't sure. Basically it went confrontational interactions to collaborative discussions as to the best way to make a ruling on an unclear mechanic.

Anyhow, I've now got the 9th Print DCC Rpg and the updated GM screen and Reference booklet. I also ordered two of the 10th Print and one more Reference Booklets for table use. I found the previous editions reference booklets were quite useful at the table. I'm facing the fact that if I'm going to play a DnD rpg I'd rather it be DCC rpg. Its always a lot more fun than DnD and its variants... at least to me.

DCC rpg Lankhmar 12 13 14 01.jpg
DCC rpg Lankhmar 12 13 14 02.jpg

DDC 9th Print plus GM Screen and new reference booklet 01.jpg
DDC 9th Print plus GM Screen and new reference booklet 02.jpg

Last edited:
Acmegamer Acmegamer

I really like those maps he does. And what are those cards?

Not sure why exactly, but that stuff is giving me Dragon's Dogma vibes. Might be because of the manticore.
The cards are hand outs with clues and such and the small cards are magic items. Neither really needed since I'd probably print up something else to hand out to players personally, that said I appreciate they he included them for those who need them. I love the maps, they feel like military maps which warms the cockles of this old recon scout.

In a very real sense, all land is over seas.

I object to the term "over seas" for a place I can drive to. Australia is over seas (and those seas, thankfully contain the Australian wildlife, because damn...), Canada is our polite neighbor to the North. :smile:

I'm facing the fact that if I'm going to play a DnD rpg I'd rather it be DCC rpg. Its always a lot more fun than DnD and its variants... at least to me.

I've got little interest in playing actual D&D (of any flavor), but I've now got a pile of "not D&D" that I'd really like to play with OSE, DCC, ACKS, Beyond the Wall (and related), Ghastly Affair, Shadow Dark...

My first deluxe hardcover editions of Palladium games: After the Bomb (natch), Ninjas & Superspies, and Palladium Fantasy 2e. These will be replacing my vintage copies... which have seen better days.

My first deluxe hardcover editions of Palladium games: After the Bomb (natch), Ninjas & Superspies, and Palladium Fantasy 2e. These will be replacing my vintage copies... which have seen better days.
I believe the After the Bomb hardcover includes a reprint of the first edition of After the Bomb, the TMNT supplement, which won’t be included in Palladium’s upcoming TMNT Kickstarter.

I would very much like to hear what you think of The Crow and what it's like. The movie has a special place in my nostalgia shrine.

I'll let you know as soon as I dig into it. Those two books just came in the other day, so I haven't looked through them yet. I almost didn't buy the core book, since it doesn't interest me that much, but it was cheap enough to go ahead and get it in case any of the things in the setting books don't make sense.
+1 for the request... I loved the Crow as well:shade:!

High Medieval
Interesting. So where does it fall on the Mythic Earth to D&D-in-pseudo-real-world scale:shock:?

(Also, where do you order the print? I'm not seeing it on DT, but I love OMNI. Though I might end up ordering Talislanta: Savage Lands or Atlantis, instead, either of which I'd love to have in hardcopy:thumbsup:).

Interesting. So where does it fall on the Mythic Earth to D&D-in-pseudo-real-world scale:shock:?

(Also, where do you order the print? I'm not seeing it on DT, but I love OMNI. Though I might end up ordering Talislanta: Savage Lands or Atlantis, instead, either of which I'd love to have in hardcopy:thumbsup:).

I managed to get a near mint, used copy of the game from a UK store called The Shop on the Borderlands. They still have a copy in stock but it's listed as only being in "Fair" condition. They also have a copy of the Omni version of Atlantis: The Second Age. I've got the more recent Omega version and I've considered picking this older version up just for comparison.

As for the setting of High Medieval, it's basically just medieval Europe with some fantasy elements presented as an option really. There's some traditional fantasy races and magic but, aside from a few nods to real world mythologies (Elves are from Scandinavia, Minotaurs are from the Greek islands), they're kind of just... there, rather than fully integrated. They try to keep things focused on the medieval Europe element but, even then, it's not exactly a deep dive into history. It's probably enough for the typical gamer but definitely not for a Pendragon/Harn/Chivalry & Sorcery/Ars Magica fan.

There's a couple of good reviews for the game on TBP that should be helpful to get a sense of the game. One is mixed and the other pretty positive. Some of the criticisms are fair (the quality of production is fairly standard for mid-aughts game books) but if you do have other Omni (or even Omega) rules then this is a pretty good sourcebook at the very least.

Today I got a delivery with two interesting sourcebooks...

First up is Land of the Rising Sun: Folklore Bestiary! This expands the bestiary that was in the LotRS setting book and is full of interesting yokai/beings/things from Japanese folklore. I've had the PDF for what feels like years now so it's good to finally have the hardback too.

Next up is The Gaia Complex: Hardware 2119. It's a gear sourcebook for a cyberpunk game and, just like another recent gear sourcebook for a cyberpunk game (Black Chrome for Cyberpunk Red for those who need the clarification), it also has a substantial part of it's page count looking at how & where you buy the gear.

Sadly, I was hoping to have The Gaia Complex core rulebook today as well but I'm dealing with Royal Mail. So they naturally told me it would deliver on Wednesday, when I'm working from home, and then decided they would attempt delivery on Tuesday, when I'm at the office, instead! They won't attempt redelivery until Friday either. Ugh.

Attachments

• PSX_20231026_034840.jpg
    PSX_20231026_034840.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 6
This finally arrived, I Kickstarted this back in 2019-20ish but it went astray in the mail when I moved out of province. Took me a while to realize it had shipped and I hadn't received it.

Finally reached out directly to Dundas West Games and despite it being years ago they kindly sent a replacement copy.

20231027_225833.jpg

Last edited:
This finally arrived, I Kickstarted this back in 2019-20ish but it went astray in the mail when I moved out of province. Took me a while to realize it had shipped and I hadn't received it.

Finally reached out directly to Dundas West Games and despite it being year ago they kindly sent a replacement copy.

View attachment 70638
Ah, my crazy brain read that as "...Comedian Trenches..." the first time around. Must have been a pretty rough crowd.

Man I really love the vibe of the OSE and DCC modules/adventures above

I prefer the core mechanics of D&D 5E (lower levels only), though I don't really dig alot of the products that WotC puts out.
I'm currently running 13th Age at present, which is kinda like 'D&D meet's Fate', but it's as close to D&D I get (unless running AiME, or perhaps Fateforge, both being variations of 5E).

I wonder how easy it would be to run these OSE and DCC adventure modules with Shadowdark or Knave?

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back