Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Call it FOMO (fear of missing out) or being a sucker for anything with a SALE! sticker on it, but I thought I'd take a punt on the Modiphius sale. I'd previously bought the John Carter of Mars core rulebook (on sale!) and liked the look of it after a flick through so figured 'in for a penny...' and took a look at what else was going.

From all the gushing outpouring of love for 2D20 on this forum* I figured I'd make up my own mind about the Conan game as well. My first experience with a Conan RPG was the horrifically laid out/edited (if it even was) TSR game back in the day which we played for a while but thought was crap, overall. I also have the Mongoose version which I never played but presume it was another in the glut of D20 OGL things that make my shelves groan. Never played, bought on the cheap, probably never get round to it as D&D is a thing I played in the 80s and I've mostly moved on.

The art looks decent for all the Modiphius stuff. Customer service is so-so. No word that things were waiting for restock until I chased up two weeks later. Within two days of the email the box turned up. Haven't really looked at the stuff for the last couple of days (it sat unopened as I've been up to my eyeballs with work) until today and I thought I'd better check what they've sent.

Core-Rules-slipcase-conan-core-and-narrators-toolkit.png

The Core rules slipcase is a nice thing indeed. Core Rulebook (288 page) and Campaign Book (128 page) in a sturdy slipcase. To put into perspective about my FOMO and being a sucker for a bargain check out the restored normal RRPs...

full-prices.png

The rulebooks come with complimentary PDFs and are delivered in minutes of ordering.

The slipcase set cost me £15 on sale (£75). Narrators Toolkit £5 (£24.99) Conan core book £17.50 (£34.99)

Dice sets cost £2.40 each (£11.99 each) Eeek! £12 for fancy dice. If I'd paid that and then seen the sale price it would leave a salty taste in the mouth.

John Carter Core Rulebook £8.40 (£41.99) Conan Pirate and Mercenary £12.50 each (£24.99 each). I wondered about filling out the rest of the lines but a quick look over the Conan stuff has my wallet reeling in fear and even John Carter has a few other books and bits/bobs that has my head shaking and my heart doesn't have the pull to overrule it. I'll keep an eye out for future sales but the Conan stuff was a half hearted 'give it a punt' because of what I've read about the system. For me BOL does Sword and Sorcery adequately and I'm more of a high magic type of GM/player these days. The Pirate and Merc books were bought because they apparently have useful extra rules on mass combat and ships.

Bits and bobs. Tile set £3 (£15) Notebook (no idea why I bought this) £2.40 (£11.99!) Players Guide £4 (£19.99) Landscape Deck £3 (£14.99) and Character/Token deck £3 (£14.99)

Other stuff was on sale but I'm a noob to 2D20. I'll look into it as much as I can to get a balanced view of the game before I crack the books open and have the PDFs for pretty much everything you see (except dice) so overall you can't beat the sales for sheer value especially on the JC stuff. I would not have bought any of this at full price and even the full price stuff I have bought recently (like the Talisman adventure game) I bought at a discounted price (£26 instead of £45 depending on where you buy). In other words I like a bargain.

Will I play it? Dunno. Too many games/not enough time syndrome as usual. I'll look at the PDFs and see whether the stuff is worth keeping sealed in case I ever purge a few shelves. Speaking of which I think I need another Billy (from Ikea). My new years resolution of not buying more stuff I will never play or read (remains to be seen) isn't going well. Current year spending so far over £200.

*Oh wait. That's Mythras. In that case change that to 'from all the hard stares, bitter experiences and shaking of head with angry under the breath mutterings' for 2D20
Is that's what it's called?

1645034952466.png

And just realized that pile is missing two more (because I made two orders) - Conan the Scout and Conan the Brigand

sweet summer child. Let me see what I can get of my room (several other hobbies with unused stuff in the room represented):

1645055083737.png
1645055162658.png

And I cheated with the shelves behind the books on the floor- I bought them so I wouldn't have the books on the floor. And now I just have more books on the floor. (I gave up on organizing a while ago, and would just like to have them all on shelves at this point...)

Is that's what it's called?

View attachment 42219

And just realized that pile is missing two more (because I made two orders) - Conan the Scout and Conan the Brigand

Not taking a photo but my Modiphius sale box showed up with:

Infinity: Paradiso Planet Book
Infinity War Market: The Mercenaries Sourcebook
Infinity: Tohaa Supplement
Infinity: Aleph Supplement
Infinity: Haqqislam Supplement
Infinity: PanOceania Supplement
Infinity: Nomads Supplement
Infinity: Shadow Affairs Campaign
Infinity: Yu Jing

Mutant Chronicles: Dark Legion Campaign
Mutant Chronicles: Luna & Freelancers Sourcebook
Mutant Chronicles: Whitestar Sourcebook
Mutant Chronicles: Mutants & Heretics Sourcebook
Mutant Chronicles: Cartel and Orbitals Source Book
Mutant Chronicles Dark Eden Source Book

John Carter of Mars: Core Rulebook
John Carter of Mars: Prince of Helium Notebook
John Carter of Mars: Player's Guide
John Carter Collector's Slipcase Set

They got me good with that sale. The books above were generally cheaper than buying the PDF, and they came with it anyway. Only reason I didn't splurge on Conan is I have the PDFs and gave away my deadtree once already.

They got me good with that sale. The books above were generally cheaper than buying the PDF, and they came with it anyway. Only reason I didn't splurge on Conan is I have the PDFs and gave away my deadtree once already.
That's the reason they didn't get me with Infinity, though I did think about it.

I finally got around to looking at the D6 and Savage World versions of Ninja High School I got a few years back. Honestly, the games aren’t something to write home about, but I was pleasantly surprised to see three pieces of art i own were used between them. Two of them were pieces I commissioned, so seeing them
go to published pieces in an official book was an odd feeling.

Even more of an odd feeling is that another piece I commissioned was used to promote the Kickstarter, but wasn’t included.

I accidentally KS'd the deluxe edition and much preferred the standard one. Fortunate to sell the deluxe for £150 so it paid for my KS'd items, allowed me to get a standard edition and turn a little profit too. Wish I could say I planned that but I didn't!

I like Martin Grip’s artwork on the cover and title pages. Very evocative and reminds me of the movies at times.

I prefer the regular edition cover as well. I actually think the juxtaposition of Martin Grip’s lush art with the traditional pencil art elsewhere in the book is quite striking.

I like Martin Grip’s artwork on the cover and title pages. Very evocative and reminds me of the movies at times.

I'm hit and miss with the new rules of 2e but I actually think the art/direction in it is actually better than 1e. And I'm a HUGE Jon Hodgson fan - I have some of his The One Ring sketch books; literally just his sketched artwork etc that he sold me when I met him at a convention. The art in the new edition is top drawer though.

Got a bunch of prints I've been meaning to get for a while. Just framed and hung them for my downstairs office.
View attachment 40711
You mind telling me where you got this one (the one on the right)? I think it’s a Dragon magazine cover, and there are a few of these that I’d love to get, but I’ve never had any luck finding them.

You mind telling me where you got this one (the one on the right)? I think it’s a Dragon magazine cover, and there are a few of these that I’d love to get, but I’ve never had any luck finding them.

The artist, Daniel Horne, used to sell them himself. I’ve written him three times over the years to see about buying from him, but I’ve never gotten a response.

The artist, Daniel Horne, used to sell them himself. I’ve written him three times over the years to see about buying from him, but I’ve never gotten a response.

Just go to his website and order them. Pretty easy. I also got a response back from him pretty quickly, so I'm not sure why your luck was worse.

Not a RPG, but I recently acquired the Resident Evil 3 board game (while I wait for the Kickstarter for the Resident Evil 1 game to arrive sometime next year). I own the regular Retail edition, not the "Kickstarter" one seen in the image below, however all of the components appear to be identical (just the box is different):

resident-evil-3-the-board-game-display.jpg

As a big fan of the older franchise games (haven't played any of them past 4) and as a co-op/solo board gamer, this game has met my expectations (and dismissed any regret at putting money into the Kickstarter).

The rules are simple enough for my kids to enjoy and it feels like a completely different game from Zombicide or Bloodborne.

No game is perfect, but we enjoy this one tremendously (so far). Setup and take down aren't that bad either.

Just go to his website and order them. Pretty easy. I also got a response back from him pretty quickly, so I'm not sure why your luck was worse.

it seems to be a standing thing with artists and myself. Years ago on RPG.net I used to say I needed to take a picture of a gym bag of cash and send it to artists saying “This is the money you would have if you answered my e-mails about the art you’re selling on your website,” and it still feels like a practice I need to take up.

I’ve had people wonder why my collection is composed mostly of the same artists, and people don’t believe me when I say “Because they’re the ones who respond when I write about buying their work.”

it seems to be a standing thing with artists and myself. Years ago on RPG.net I used to say I needed to take a picture of a gym bag of cash and send it to artists saying “This is the money you would have if you answered my e-mails about the art you’re selling on your website,” and it still feels like a practice I need to take up.

I’ve had people wonder why my collection is composed mostly of the same artists, and people don’t believe me when I say “Because they’re the ones who respond when I write about buying their work.”
As with game design skills, artistic talent doesn't always come with business sense included.

Wrack & Rune is a Labyrinth Lord adventure that covers a question I had in AD&D since the 80s: What if your magic-user wants a golem, but doesn’t want to build it themselves? In this adventure someone contracted the construction of a golem’s body for them, only to have the ship carrying it sink. The PCs get hired to recover it, and the fun begins.

This scenario really feels like a labor of love, from the unique start to the detail and character put into the various aspects. As someone who has had major problems over the decades with players using OOC knowledge, I love that a portion of the adventure involved NPCs who have been living with a creature for years, are certain they know what they’re dealing with, and are actually totally clueless.

I really like the focus of the adventure in terms of scope, but to say more about that might ruin a twist of the adventure. There’s also a bit that at first reminds me of an old Superman joke, but as I read the description I thought “OK, I can see where that’s coming from, and that’s clever.” Then again, the fact it reminded me of an incident on Reddit with a safe may also have endeared it to me, having seen a real-life example of trolling along the same lines.

Honestly, originally I thought I was going to gush about this module, my only complaints a (perhaps unintentional) sharing of names with a character from Mister Rogers Neighborhood, and a bit of optional flavor text that doesn’t quite hold with a previous description of NPC behavior. There was a third bit that rubbed me the wrong way, but I can attribute that to personal taste.

However, near the end are some problems. There is a chart referencing penalties to find golem parts based on the debris and other things covering them, but I can find no listings for said obscuring features. There also seems to have been plans for wreckage degradation to be a part of the adventure, with a chart of modifiers for it with no actual details given.

Still, it’s an original, inventive adventure with a good bit of effort put into it.

7FE250DD-1D86-4B6A-B605-81D6B1E91D2D.jpeg

I've signed up for Kindle Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited, and a number of subscriptions to science fiction and fantasy short stories-- not as much pure thud & blunder as I'd like, but I'm enjoying them so far and looking forward to (slowly) catching up on back issues.

The wife has been asking me to teach her how to paint for ages so I bought a some Perry plastics for our Carcosa game. It was $32 for 40 miniatures so it's a practice box for modelling and painting. Since the Races of Man are divided into 13 different colors we can play around with a lot of colors. I haven't been motivated to paint or model for a while. I am so pumped!

The next step is to organize the massive clutter on my gaming table to make room for painting.

Perry Tribals.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered this rare little gem, a book of adventures from 1996 for the Tales From the Crypt game.

Hoping to modify one or two for use with Cryptworld.

View attachment 42619

I may still have the Cryptic Campaigns book somewhere. It had an interesting, if convoluted adventure that was surprisingly lengthy.

As with game design skills, artistic talent doesn't always come with business sense included.

Perhaps amusingly, several years ago a comic artist hired an agent to handle purchase and work inquiries. When I contacted the agent he was rude when I asked things like “How much will this cost?” and ended up giving me the artist’s contact info to deal with him directly, which negated the purpose of an agent in my mind.

Today I saw a comic page I’d like to buy, but found out the artist uses the same agent. I’ve purchased from the artist directly in the past, but now I am to only talk to the agent.

After our last interaction I’m debating forgoing the purchase so I don’t end up giving the agent money.

This would be the third time I’ve given up on buying from an artist because their agent is out there.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back