The what the hell you actually look like thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A bar in Sheffield called Glory Holes where, besides drink and music, you can also play 10 holes of crazy golf with a somewhat macabre and horrific theme to them.

Nice! The horror themes seemed a given, but 10 hole of crazy golf too? Plus alcohol? In. Totally In.

A bar in Sheffield called Glory Holes where, besides drink and music, you can also play 10 holes of crazy golf with a somewhat macabre and horrific theme to them.
Well, according to them it's a place you go to shaft holes, apparently. Luckily I won't have time to check it out at the next Garricon.

Being an idiot on New Years Eve is a time honored tradition that no one would begrudge you!

Hell, if you ask my wife, I'm sure she would tell you I'm an idiot every day lol.

But my kids think I'm ok and even humorous(insert off color dad joke here), so I guess that evens things out...

322247441_3480574722176919_5800948582773301028_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've shared a picture of myself before, but why not. I can join the glasses and beard brigade. (my god the picture was huge, so I switched it to a thumbnail you can click to see the full thing)

Honestly I regularly forget to put my glasses on. They sit in a case on my desk way too much. Then I remember they exist, put them on and remember the world is actually much clearer than I thought.
My eye strain dropped dramatically when I started wearing computer reading glasses, even more so once I got the prescription ones. I also have blue light blocking (thus the blue glow). The other thing that has helped is dry eye treatment.

Now what got me to go to an eye doctor...

One evening at the dinner table I had a sudden flurry of dark floaters. The best way to describe it is like watching a Dementor attack as in Harry Potter... By the time I got to an eye doctor it had mostly calmed down and the doctor checked and nothing overly serious but I am on watch for issues...

So you'll all have to edit your mental image of me, I cut all my hair off. Well, not all of it, I just have very short hair now. I don't do in beween hair as that suaully involves the use of product, which I simply won't do.

My eye strain dropped dramatically when I started wearing computer reading glasses, even more so once I got the prescription ones. I also have blue light blocking (thus the blue glow). The other thing that has helped is dry eye treatment.

Me too. Getting glasses designed to help with computer eye strain has been a godsend, especially as I spend *way* too much time in front of screens between work and home...

I'll second this. Helped me a lot as well.

Now what got me to go to an eye doctor...

One evening at the dinner table I had a sudden flurry of dark floaters. The best way to describe it is like watching a Dementor attack as in Harry Potter... By the time I got to an eye doctor it had mostly calmed down and the doctor checked and nothing overly serious but I am on watch for issues...
You’re lucky. When that happened to me they told me to drive to Tufts in Boston to have surgery. Mine was more like a blizzard though.

I had to have cataract surgery, but more because the lens in my right eye got shattered in an accident, so they had to replace the lens. That said, my retina got severely damaged at the same time, so I have almost no sight in my right eye. I generally say I'm blind in the right eye, which is pretty much true. I can basically see if there is light or not on that side. Nothing else. Not like shapes or anything just "is light hitting this eye". And it is very light sensitive. Hence my glasses having the tinted glass on that side.

I had to have cataract surgery, but more because the lens in my right eye got shattered in an accident, so they had to replace the lens. That said, my retina got severely damaged at the same time, so I have almost no sight in my right eye. I generally say I'm blind in the right eye, which is pretty much true. I can basically see if there is light or not on that side. Nothing else. Not like shapes or anything just "is light hitting this eye". And it is very light sensitive. Hence my glasses having the tinted glass on that side.

I was going to ask about the tinted lens, but didn't want to pry. My wife had something similar happen to her when she was 5, and she lost the lens in her left eye. Many surgeries later (this was in the 70's, so med tech TL wasn't that high) she can see shapes and light and dark, similar to what you described. No depth perception is probably her biggest issue. Your brain will try and work around it, but driving, catching anything thrown in her direction, and especially driving at night are extremely difficult.

I actually don't have as many problems as I would have thought. My biggest thing is small things really close up. Like, I have a hard time soldering a circuit (though I haven't tried since not long after my accident). And things like painting a miniature would be super hard to do.

But I adjusted to most other stuff. Though I always do things like walk with my wife on my right side, so that I don't bump into people. Or sit in a booth at a restaurant on the right so that my blind eye is towards the wall.

Every once in a while though I'll go to open a cabinet in the kitchen and just straight whiff grabbing the knob >_>.

I actually don't have as many problems as I would have thought. My biggest thing is small things really close up. Like, I have a hard time soldering a circuit (though I haven't tried since not long after my accident). And things like painting a miniature would be super hard to do.

But I adjusted to most other stuff. Though I always do things like walk with my wife on my right side, so that I don't bump into people. Or sit in a booth at a restaurant on the right so that my blind eye is towards the wall.

Every once in a while though I'll go to open a cabinet in the kitchen and just straight whiff grabbing the knob >_>.

Yeah, my wife is similar in that she will always walk keeping me on the blind side. I haven't noticed her sitting based on it; I'll have to ask her if she does that and I haven't noticed. She doesn't seem to have problems picking things up or reaching for things, but I wonder if that's because she's been dealing with it for more than 50 years, and has just gotten used to it...

This thread has made me realize there may not only am I only in photos with my nephews, I am wearing a backpack in all of them.
1675988294075.png
Not that I have many photos of myself. As I fill in as a model for a local portrait group when they are desperate, I probably have more drawings and painting of myself than photos. What are you supposed to do with paintings of yourself anyway? If I put them on the wall, I look arrogant. If I start giving them away as gifts, it's even more arrogant. Yet, when an artist offers you the picture, you can't say you don't want it.

This thread has made me realize there may not only am I only in photos with my nephews, I am wearing a backpack in all of them.
View attachment 56265
Not that I have many photos of myself. As I fill in as a model for a local portrait group when they are desperate, I probably have more drawings and painting of myself than photos. What are you supposed to do with paintings of yourself anyway? If I put them on the wall, I look arrogant. If I start giving them away as gifts, it's even more arrogant. Yet, when an artist offers you the picture, you can't say you don't want it.
You put them all in your attic, after you have them all retouched to look a little older than you actually are.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back