Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Visually Seattle has changed a lot over the years. As a kid I'd go down 1st Ave and it was a lot of run down businesses, pawn shops and peep shows. Then it got nicer as Seattle prospered. Then it got super clean. Most of the old sketchy businesses were run off. Lately the theft and drugs have made doing business a real challenge. But nationally it's still a pretty safe town. I will say 2 blocks off Pike Place Market a pregnant gal was shot dead a few months back by a crazy homeless guy. We've had more homicides than almost any year in Seattes history.
d9d7fafa515fd54145c2d5509a4f312a.jpeg

wish I'd known about that KIckstarter, but just put in a pre-order for the public release

wish I'd known about that KIckstarter, but just put in a pre-order for the public release
You won't regret that at all. I hadn't caught onto it either and my wife didn't mention it. Noted the package on the front doormat and opened it to find the book. Feeling like crap all day, so browsing through the book brightened my day.

How easy is Paleomythic to hack into a more traditional Conan or D&D esque setting? I have recently hit my saturation point with B/X derived OSR games and I'm looking for an alternative.

It's like Scooby Doo. You pull off the Erik Estrada mask only to discover that the real villain is mummified Bronson. And he would have gotten away with it too...
But the monster is never real in Scooby Doo. That means there must be another face under the Mummified Bronson mask.
inception-deeper.gif

How easy is Paleomythic to hack into a more traditional Conan or D&D esque setting? I have recently hit my saturation point with B/X derived OSR games and I'm looking for an alternative.
The default setting material already has things like beast men, serpent people, and the undead to fight so that's a start. There are a few paragraphs at the end about making the game more traditional swords and sorcery - it's really about making equipment more durable and changing the trappings.

Magic World may be another option. Basically Runequest light, and pretty S&S right out of the box. Available as PDF or POD from DTRPG and relatively inexpensive by current standards. Only one supplement, Advanced Sorcery but very compatible with BRP, RQ, CoC, Mythras etc.

CoC has always struck me as a neat foundation for the darker end of S&S, and it is starting to get some material leaning that way with Rome and Dark Ages settings. CoC S&S is a long over due thing since a lot of S&S was mythos adjacent, REH's work in particular.

Magic World may be another option. Basically Runequest light, and pretty S&S right out of the box. Available as PDF or POD from DTRPG and relatively inexpensive by current standards. Only one supplement, Advanced Sorcery but very compatible with BRP, RQ, CoC, Mythras etc.

CoC has always struck me as a neat foundation for the darker end of S&S, and it is starting to get some material leaning that way with Rome and Dark Ages settings. CoC S&S is a long over due thing since a lot of S&S was mythos adjacent, REH's work in particular.

Gonna second the CoC Rome & Dark Ages setting as an option. While reading through CoC 7th edition recently I'd been pondering something similar since it is low magic in regards to the players side of things and I feel a potential excellent mechanics system to use with a S&S campaign setting. Bonus, unlike Mythras the books are readable!

More stuff has come in, some Kickstarter, some things I'd wanted to snag. So time to spew all over the thread with multiple pictures/posts of stuffs. First up, my BRP book came in and I really like the look and feel of the book.

I like the paper type as well, it's not shiny(it's mat) and its got a thick, solid feel. My one complaint is the font is smaller then I'd like but I will say it's clear and easy to read. (looking at you The Design Mechanism with your light, small fonts with fucking ligatures that are hard to read) Also in pdf form I hadn't even noted that the font was smaller, where as the Mythras is hard to read in pdf or physical form.

Chaosium BRP updated rpg 01.jpg
Chaosium BRP updated rpg 02.jpg
Chaosium BRP updated rpg 03.jpg

Next up in my ongoing effort to abuse myself with 2d20, I decided to snag the new Dreams & Machines starter set. It's much lighter mechanically speaking. Also, feels better organized. Three, books, dice, cards, tokens and map, which all fit within the box. A nicely designed set up in packaging in that regard.

Dreams and Machines rpg 01.jpg

Next, the physical book for Jackals Rpg from Osprey books and the final item (book) from the Stellegama Publishing Kickstarter for their rules light Barbaric! 2e. The main reason I backed the Barbaric! 2e was to get the slew of other books in physical form that I'd long had in pdf form, the Barbaric! 2e was just a nice extra.

Jackals Rpg and Barbaric 2e Kickstarter 01.jpg

Also, yesterday my Savage Pathfinder Kickstarter box came in. I really like Savage Worlds as a mechanics system after finally embracing the cards, which had been an issue for me at first. Luckily unlike the ten small cards that Free Leagues uses for initiative, (a real pain in the ass to use) the Savage Worlds deck is card or large size deck and easy to handle, mix and use.

I've been backing Savage Pathfinder and Savage Rifts because they're two popular IPs and honestly I enjoy Golarion (the Pathfinder world) much more than the Forgotten Realms and I've always been a fan of the Rifts setting.

Anyhow this is the latest set of adventures (adventure path) to be converted to Savage Worlds. You always get a lot for your money with these in my opinion and they're well put together, always.

Savage Pathfinder Kickstarter 01.jpg
Savage Pathfinder Kickstarter 02.jpg
Savage Pathfinder Kickstarter 03.jpg

Here's my one on going problem child Kickstarter. Monte Cook's Diamond Throne Kickstarter which was licensed by an Italian group called "Here be Dragons". It's been a real clusterfuck shit show, the second worst of the near hundred I've backed. Over all I've had overwhelming great experiences with Kickstarter, Backerkit, Gamefound etc. Just want to get that out of the way.

So Monte Cook Games apparently has stepped in finally after a couple years of delays and bad (lack of communication) to get this stuff moving. After all Monte's name is on this product so it is bad press for them, so I appreciate them stepping in to help get the product out.

That said I'm still missing two physical products and two pdfs. Not sure If we'll see them and honestly I'm so soured by this company that I'm even interested in reading the books currently. That will change I'm sure but honestly these guys (Here Be Dragons) suck ass.

Monte Cooks Diamond Throne rpg Kickstarter 01.jpg

Monte Cooks Diamond Throne rpg Kickstarter 02.jpgMonte Cooks Diamond Throne rpg Kickstarter 03.jpg

Last up and to end on a positive note. My physical book came in for "Nightmare Over Ragged Hollow" Kickstarter came in! The Merry Mushmen did an excellent job. Are we surprised? Nope, we are not. Kobayashi Kobayashi Really an a well put together book Kobayashi!

Nightmare Over Ragged Hollow Kickstarter 01.jpg

There is also material on the inside of the cover, which makes it very useful. BTW if someone ever wants to see other parts of the material I post, let me know. :smile: I'm just sharing because I feel we all have the same passion or our shared hobby.

A Lulu order just came in
IMG_0684.jpeg
A nice LotR-in-BRP game, yet another OD&D version, and something in French, because I intend to learn that language and needed some milestones besides Asterix (randomly picked from a Lulu search, never even heard of it).

Also, after a long post-Brexit tax & customs odyssey:
IMG_0685.jpeg

Sosthenes Sosthenes Age of Shadows looks interesting. Have you had a chance to read through it yet?
Oh, the rules and the tiny setting guide have been free for ages. It's basically OpenQuest 1E, so very much a simplified BRP. I wanted to finally have a print-out, and filled up my order with that (my primary reason being the newly released FMC).

I like it a lot. It's BRP and a very blatant Tolkien ripoff. I appreciate the latter, as this means everybody knows what they're in for, but you don't have to cope with the oodles of world-building JRR did, and with all the mundane details he left out.

Last up and to end on a positive note. My physical book came in for "Nightmare Over Ragged Hollow" Kickstarter came in! The Merry Mushmen did an excellent job. Are we surprised? Nope, we are not. Kobayashi Kobayashi Really an a well put together book Kobayashi!

Just to make sure, I took no role in the creation of this book. Which makes me a bit jealous because it is a very nice adventure indeed, with the Merry Mushmen touch regarding layout and illustrations!

Next up in my ongoing effort to abuse myself with 2d20, I decided to snag the new Dreams & Machines starter set. It's much lighter mechanically speaking. Also, feels better organized. Three, books, dice, cards, tokens and map, which all fit within the box. A nicely designed set up in packaging in that regard.

View attachment 70015
How is it? I've had my eye on it - is the main book out yet?

Yep. He has done Call of Cthulhu and At the Mountains of Madness (2 volumes) as well. He is currently working on Shadows of Innsmouth.
Awesome, I thought that might be that one, but wasn't absolutely sure. Definitely own quality books for sure. All of them. :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back