[Kickstarter] Demon City by Zak Smith aka. Sabbath

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never liked Zak to begin with, and the recent news concerning his behavior only confirms my hatred of him, although his actions aside, I think it would be bad if the people who did back his Kickstarter did not get the product they paid for because of this tragic news.
As I understand it, the publisher has already paid all the writer and artists, so Zak already has his money from Demon City. You can't hurt Zak by demanding a refund.

For people that backed it, the publisher is accommodating requests for people to have their name removed from the book.

As I understand it, the publisher has already paid all the writer and artists, so Zak already has his money from Demon City. You can't hurt Zak by demanding a refund.

For people that backed it, the publisher is accommodating requests for people to have their name removed from the book.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

[ . . . ]
I'm not going to go into detail here, but this Facebook post is the initial accusation by three exes, and there is an even more sickening and explicit one by another woman that came out today.
I suppose The Gauntlet's statement implies that the Pub could come under flak for not explicitly de-platforming him but I'm not really sure what to suggest that the mods do about that. I do suggest that Baulderstone Baulderstone et. al. at least have some private confabulation (if they haven't already) to come up with an actual policy in the event that it does happen.

Yeah. Zak was a prominent poster on this forum, and I don't know what to do about that or how it can be properly handled.

But I'm not one of the mods, so I'll leave it to them.

I suppose The Gauntlet's statement implies that the pub could come under flak for not explicitly de-platforming him but I'm not really sure what to suggest that the mods do about that.
Zak was within a hair's breadth of us "de-platforming" him before this even happened. I don't know much about The Gauntlet, but we don't need anyone starting a harassment campaign against us to know how to deal with Zak on our own. We don't consider Zak to exactly be a friend of the forum based on past behavior, and I don't have the impression he thinks much of us.

Zak was within a hair's breadth of us "de-platforming" him before this even happened. I don't know much about The Gauntlet, but we don't need anyone starting a harassment campaign against us to know how to deal with Zak on our own. We don't consider Zak to exactly be a friend of the forum based on past behavior, and I don't have the impression he thinks much of us.
They posted something about this publically that generated a little shit-storm of its own through its guilt-by-association viewpoint. A little google-fu should turn it up.

They posted something about this publically that generated a little shit-storm of its own through its guilt-by-association viewpoint. A little google-fu should turn it up.
Yeah, I heard about that post. I just don't really know anything about them aside from that. In any case, veering into the surrounding shit-storms is what we don't want to do in this thread. Let's keep the focus on Zak.

I've felt absolutely sick to my stomach over the last several days. My best friend was a victim of abuse, and it took her years - YEARS - to dig her way out. She still suffers from anxiety attacks over it, and while I cannot fully identify with her victimhood, I can attest to the struggle people go through to even admit something like this.

I am terribly ashamed for celebrating our ENnies wins together at GenCon. He was so incredibly welcoming to me, as someone new to the industry. We shared private messages on Twitter, arranged to have a party after the ENnies, and hung out for most the evening. After that, we stayed in touch on Twitter. We shared stories here about publishing. And I feel absolutely repulsed by him, and so sorry for engaging with him.

As the stories flowed in about Zak’s abuse this week, I "manned up", preparing for the worst. Between meetings for my day job for travel, I spent time Googling more about Zak. Chalk it up to my ignorance about the industry or just being plain stupid, but I should have done my due diligence. All the signs were there, as was the context for the kind of person he is.

I was recently contacted by a partner of Zak’s to work with him and Zak on their next book I Am The Weapon. Mandy’s post was made literally at the same time I was responding back to Zak’s partner by email. I declined to work with them:

One of the writers for Demon City has vowed to donate what he earned from Zak to TransLifeLine. I have followed in their footsteps, and made a donation of $500 - the revenue I estimate to have made working on marketing the game:

Much like I did with John Tarnowski's books, I will be trashing the books I have of Zak's - including Demon City. They don't belong on my shelves.

The lesson I learned here is this: to be a better listener, to be more selective about those who I would consult with and to use my social media presence to amplify the voices of those who have been harassed. That's my iron-clad promise, and how I feel with what little power I have to move the needle.

a great place to look for this sort of thing and have those discussions is https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/ you can search him up on here.

I'm not familiar with Zak or his work, and only a little bit of on the forums.

I also personally don't think this is political, any more than calling Gary Glitter a paedo is.
Even if anyone thinks it is, the point of the "no politics" is simply to avoid unnecessary drama. This is an important news story involving a prominent person in the RPG scene that is just impossible to ignore. I think the tension of talking around it would be worse than any potential drama talking about it generates.

I am terribly ashamed for celebrating our ENnies wins together at GenCon.
I really think you shouldn't beat yourself up over this. You can't be expected to research everyone's past. If someone was best buds with him and ignoring all the red flags, I'd hoist an eyebrow, but this particular issue was not previously public, so you can't really expect to deduce things like this yourself.

Still, I understand trying to get in front of this. Guilt-by-association is an unfortunate reality.

I really think you shouldn't beat yourself up over this. You can't be expected to research everyone's past. If someone was best buds with him and ignoring all the red flags, I'd hoist an eyebrow, but this particular issue was not previously public, so you can't really expect to deduce things like this yourself.

Still, I understand trying to get in front of this. Guilt-by-association is an unfortunate reality.
To piggy-back on this, Daniel, I have seen your response to this all over social media. It's been loud, unequivocal, and rapid. Don't be too hard on yourself.

We did discuss banning Zak outright right after the first allegation surfaced. I actually thought about banning him anyway for all the “fact-checking” bullshit from before but let it slide. I do like to give everyone a chance here when they first arrive. He was no different. But he wore on my nerves. These allegations just make it easier to pull the trigger.

I don’t really give two shits about what the Gauntlet or whatever they are thinks of how we (or any other rpg forum) runs things. They don’t pay to keep the lights on here. We will determine what is the right thing to do for the Pub, not for anyone else.

I feel very, very sorry for these ladies and what they have went through. If what they said is true, and I have no reason to doubt them, he’s a despicable human being. He’s not allowed to post here any more.

Can't say I'm surprised at all as it completely fits his exhibited behavior patterns. I wasn't kidding when I posted those links about narcissism and other personality disorders he exhibited during his "fact-checking."

I don't think this is a political issue, but the conduct of popular/known figures in the hobby is entirely relevant for discussion. I don't want my hobby to become a space that's unsafe for women, or indeed anyone. Abusers are not welcome IMO. Their behaviour should be exposed and shone a light on. We aren't discussing 'right' vs 'left', we're discussing how we deal with scumbags in a hobby and I don't want to share my hobby with scumbags

I feel very, very sorry for these ladies and what they have went through. If what they said is true, and I have no reason to doubt them, he’s a despicable human being. He’s not allowed to post here any more.

Yeah at this stage we have four different accounts from women close to him. People will obviously make their own conclusions but the evidence is enough for me. Especially as one of the women (Mandy) is someone Zak repeatedly told us was someone we should listen to when it suited him.

From a personal perspective the last point really fucking sticks in my gut. Pretty much the only reason I didn't turn against him fully when other people were was "Mandy's" post in his defence. And now we found out he wrote that and stuck her name on it.

I don't think this is a political issue, but the conduct of popular/known figures in the hobby is entirely relevant for discussion. I don't want my hobby to become a space that's unsafe for women, or indeed anyone. Abusers are not welcome IMO. Their behaviour should be exposed and shone a light on. We aren't discussing 'right' vs 'left', we're discussing how we deal with scumbags in a hobby and I don't want to share my hobby with scumbags

Yeah, this. Like, I'm pretty sure nobody here, regardless of our private politics, thinks that abusing women is this way is acceptable. This is basic decency, not politics.

I reopened this thread because I trusted that the Pub could discuss this issue with tact. Any warning about political content at this point is just a disclaimer in case we get a rare political insert.

To answer Gringnr's original question: I backed the book, and I'm not asking for either my name to be removed or for a refund. The latter is out of the question anyway and would just hit every contributor, and as for the former, I don't see why the hell *I* should be ashamed over what *someone else* allegedly did.

I also find "justice by mob" and "deplatforming" horrible concepts, but whatever. One thing I'd ask the mods here: do not take action until he has at least made his statement. I've read the various allegations and unfortunately they ring true; too similar to each other and they match too well with some of his online behavior; but even if at this point it looks like 99% guilty, 1% innocent, that 1% ought to be respected.

My thoughts: Obviously the accusations need to be taken seriously. Zak has the right to respond but, honestly, it all looks pretty damning. As to choosing not to support Zak's creative output - well that's got to be for each person to decide for his or herself.

I think that the danger is in people who are not fond of Zak using this to indulge some schadenfreude. And I would hope not to see the sort of dogpiling I've seen elsewhere in the past.

I am disgusted at myself for, even in small ways, having helped enable Zak in this, both through purchasing and recommending his books and through not taking the previous allegations against and discussions of him seriously enough; I got caught up in the culture war bullshit and gave him far too much benefit of the doubt.

Much like I did with John Tarnowski's books, I will be trashing the books I have of Zak's - including Demon City. They don't belong on my shelves.
Indeed.

My thanks to the admin and moderators here. I moved to rpgpub a couple of months ago because the tone at Zach's site had degraded significantly, to the point that I didn't want to read what some frequent posters were posting, and didn't want to support the site as a whole. I was a little concerned that any a-political game site would eventually catch whatever is ailing them because so many of us move among multiple sites. I appreciate that this is a place where people just come to talk about games, but this is a case where a line had to be drawn.

I don’t think it’s appropriate to bring up other people that this or that poster has a problem with, especially as that might be taken to imply a connection to Zak.

I also have to say, much as I regret going to bat for him on a few occasions, including I think linking to “Mandy’s” letter at one point, I don’t particularly blame anyone for “not seeing the signs”. There are “good guys” who have turned out to have an abusive side, and I strongly believe there are also jerks who are just eccentric or abrasive, and nothing worse. There are real “warning signs” in cases like this, and there may have been in Zak’s case, but few of us were privy to them.

...but even if at this point it looks like 99% guilty, 1% innocent, that 1% ought to be respected.
Eh, this ain't a court of law and I don't think we're in a position to validate his rebuttals any more than we can validate the accusations. And the last think I'd like to do would be to witness the pub provide an open forum for Zak to vent more drama. Picture that. If this was anyone else and we didn't have four accounts, I might be more inclined to agree. Maybe. But I can't be bothered. Let him mount his defense elsewhere.

I've been trying to compose a post expressing my position, but it's... tangled. It boils down to this:

1) I don't like Zak. Never did. I am 100% fine with banning him. I have never seen him bring anything to the table other than a massive ego and an abundance of passive-aggressive insults.

2) I'm still acutely uncomfortable with the way this thread is inching towards the sort of two-minute hate that I left rpg.net to escape. I am happy that I will never hear from Zak on this site again; I would be even happier if I also never had to hear about him.

Just for the record, I guess.

To answer Gringnr's original question: I backed the book, and I'm not asking for either my name to be removed or for a refund. The latter is out of the question anyway and would just hit every contributor, and as for the former, I don't see why the hell *I* should be ashamed over what *someone else* allegedly did.

I also find "justice by mob" and "deplatforming" horrible concepts, but whatever. One thing I'd ask the mods here: do not take action until he has at least made his statement. I've read the various allegations and unfortunately they ring true; too similar to each other and they match too well with some of his online behavior; but even if at this point it looks like 99% guilty, 1% innocent, that 1% ought to be respected.

As much as I like the idea of Zak coming here (for admittedly immature reasons), I can't see it doing any good for this forum, or for anyone who has made these accusations against him.

As far as 1% chance of innocence, I'm reminded of Dave Chappelle saying something about Bill Cosby, to the effect of (paraphrasing), "When these accusations were first made, I was like 'No way he did that shit', but now, 30 women later, I'm like, "Oh he at least raped some of these women.' "

1) I don't like Zak. Never did. I am 100% fine with banning him. I have never seen him bring anything to the table other than a massive ego and an abundance of passive-aggressive insults.

2) I'm still acutely uncomfortable with the way this thread is inching towards the sort of two-minute hate that I left rpg.net to escape. I am happy that I will never hear from Zak on this site again; I would be even happier if I also never had to hear about him.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think you're in any danger of that happening. As Endless Flight Endless Flight and Baulderstone Baulderstone have stated, that particular poster was close to being banned anyway simply for the disruptive effect he was having on the forum; I think it's fair to say that no other poster has quite warped the site just by showing up like he did.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'd already decided to boycott Zak's work because, well, he's who he is. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of a trial by public opinion. Ideally, let the guy'swork speak for itself.

But on the gripping hand, these allegations are very serious. The career ending pptential is all too real. And the really sad bit is, after the small amount of interaction I had with Zak, I can't say I'm not surprised. But I am disappointed in him.

I've been trying to compose a post expressing my position, but it's... tangled. It boils down to this:

Just for the record, I guess.
For the record, I'm with you on both accounts.
Personality-wise, I wrote him off after he stated that all RPGs, or at least D&D, are innately nihilistic on A Certain Pundit's site. IMO, if you believe that the absence of any morality mechanics makes something nihilistic*, well, you just made a Rorschah test on yourself. Except you were using a void space instead of an ink stain.

*Do I need to quote Terry Pratchett here? That would be a bother, since I only have the book in translation...and you can't read Bulgarian.

OTOH, sorry, but I also left RPG.net to avoid the Two Minutes Of Hate. Also known as "Online variant of Good Old Group Monkey Dance", BTW.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'd already decided to boycott Zak's work because, well, he's who he is. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of a trial by public opinion. Ideally, let the guy'swork speak for itself.
That one is easy for me to do, since I don't like his style too much anyway:smile:.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you're in any danger of that happening. As Endless Flight Endless Flight and Baulderstone Baulderstone have stated, that particular poster was close to being banned anyway simply for the disruptive effect he was having on the forum; I think it's fair to say that no other poster has quite warped the site just by showing up like he did.
I don't mind the admins agreeing to ban anyone (me included, though I'd kinda dislike that for personal reasons). I'm not saying banning Zach is a bad idea (though I'd probably have given him a last word option).
But I also remember that "we pay the bills here" is how TBP started its downslope slide.
And I certainly hope to be proven wrong on that account, believe me:wink:!

I have seen 3 contributors to Demon city distancing themselves from this project. The most well know is Kenneth white who has wholly all his ties to Smith, even giving his gains from his work on this project (he does work fast) to charity. I prefer not named the 2 authors because for one, I only their Twitter handle and the other has some fear about some cruel backlash.

I hope this was informative and non political charge. (I must that I tempt to use the infamous scene from the room to fallow humor point but a sudden influx of commun sense prevented me to make a fool of myself in this delicate situation).

He’s been banned in case anyone missed it in my earlier post.
I think this was the right thing to do. A couple of months ago I had never heard of him until i saw his antics here, and wouldn't blame you for booting him just on that basis. From a moral standpoint, the evidence seems pretty solid, and I've had enough experience of abusive narcissists to have (shall we say) certain opinions on the matter. From a practical standpoint, you probably don't have the luxury of sitting on the fence on this one. The issue is politicised in a way that claiming to be apolitical is not going to fly. Taking a stand on this is the right thing to do for quite a number of reasons.

Must...chime...in. Yeah I've been keeping a close eye on this one. His patreon is down to 278 from 400 late januari. I hadn't realized how many people absolutely despised Zak and I have absolutely no sympathy for him but the reactions are a little disconcerting (understandable, the testimony is pretty damning and looks damn genuine), particularly against some of the fringe people like Mike Mearls, and its pretty pathetic how some of his old enemies will attempt to conflate his base behavior against these girls with online name-calling. That said, ban away, neutral ground is for opinions, not creepy sex perverts.

I'm not fan of RPG Pundit, but I find it kind of disgusting the way you have been going around the Internet trying to associate him with Zak in your comments about this situation. I have a lot of complaints about Pundit, but stop trying to drag him into this. I know you are mad you aren't allowed to shill your game on his forum anymore, but this is pretty gross way to keep your vendetta going.

As I said before, let's keep it on Zak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back